Most seniors in India today want to stay in their own homes as they age, often referred to as “Ageing In Place”.
A study shows almost 15 million Indians aged above 60 live alone or with spouse only. In states like Telangana and Tamil Nadu alone, a quarter of the Senior population live in such all-Senior households.
Why Seniors today prefer "Ageing In Place" ?
The confidence of being independent:
Seniors see themselves as proud survivors who have sailed through good as well as bad times. They are confident that they can take care of themselves.
The idea of living life as per his/her rules appeals to everyone. Living in their own comfort zone as per their own terms is highly endearing to seniors.
Knowing where their favorite places like shops, friend’s house, place of worship etc are, gives them a feeling of having control over the place.
Seniors have an inseparable attachment with a place where they have spent a significant amount of time and have a lot of memories attached to it.
The whole idea of packing a lifetime of memories to things they posses and relocation is extremely tiring for seniors.
Most of them are worried about the rise in expenditure due to shifting.
Seniors don't like the idea of being micromanaged by their children.
"Ageing in place" is a win-win solution for both Seniors and their adult children.
For a successful "Ageing In Place" good fortune and excellent support services are prerequisites. Lots of products and services have come up in India exclusively for seniors.
Joyfulageing suggests the following tips for Seniors and their adult children -
- Start educating yourself well in advance about the technology, services, Apps available for seniors.
- Small modifications in home, especially in the kitchen and bathroom can make a lot of difference.
- Find ways to remain socially active.
- Adult children must respect the wishes of their parents even if they have to lower their standards.
- Adult children must look for signs when ageing in place is simply not advisable. Click here to know more.
Joyfulageing is tips and sharing oriented.
Please use our comment page to share your concerns, experiences and tips that can help others.