For many of our parents eating alone has become routine.
Who wants to cook a roasted chicken and vegetables and sit down and eat it alone ?
Top 4 reasons why eating alone is not exiting.
- Not much fun
Often families came together at dinner time to share their day, insights, laughter and love but the table got smaller and mealtime is more of a chore than a pleasure for seniors living alone.
Cooking for one person means they have to scale down recipes, and it's also not as much fun. Instead of stimulating dinner conversation, the television becomes the other person at the table.
- Seniors don't see the value in taking care of themselves
Fact is only 26% of Seniors living alone felt eating enjoyable. This is particularly of more of a concern with women as they don’t see the value in taking care of themselves. A full 50% of Seniors said they ate simply out of habit or to keep from starving.
- Its easy to skip meals
Many seniors living alone end up not eating balanced meals. They fix things that are easy and quick or worse skip meals because it’s easy to do so when it’s just you.
- Frozen foods are convenient
While frozen and prepared foods are convenient and easy, they contain tons of sodium, fat, and other ingredients that aren’t healthy, especially for people who are on diabetic or other special diets.
Click here, to know more about the risks of eating alone in seniors.
Tricks to make cooking and eating interesting.
- Make kitchen a interesting place with seating arrangement, music, travel and cooking magazines.
- Cooking magazines and APPS will encourage your parents to try something new.
- Vegetable garden at home can make cooking fun.
- Encourage your parents to eat with friends, at least for a few times in a week.
- Video time with your parents at lunch or dinner time.
- Buy seasonal fruits, nuts and healthy groceries online for your parents and surprise them.
- If finances are not an issue, hire a local cook.
- Buy a bottom freezer refrigerator. With a bottom freezer most food items like dairy products, vegetables and left overs are at plain sight and your parents are less likely to forget about the food items in the refrigerator.
- Encourage your parents to use the food delivery APPS.
Joyfulageing is tips and sharing oriented.
Please use our comment page to share your concerns, experiences and tips that can help others.